Our APIs provide you access to Metro Bank customer account information and payment set-up and initiation upon their consent. Based on the Open Banking technical standards (version 3.1.1), you will find our APIs easy to use within your own apps. You can view our API specs right away after creating a developer login.
You will need to register some basic details about your company and your apps to access our sandbox and live APIs.
At the moment our APIs will allow Personal and Small Business customers to share their data securely with other banks and trusted Third Party Providers (TPPs).
How do they work?
Our APIs are exposed as REST APIs using a swagger definition file that includes both AISP and PISP capabilities. The data provided through the associated APIs relates to the UK only, and is prepared to the data format and security standards as maintained by the Open Banking Implementation Entity (OBIE).
Scope of the APIs
At the moment we have our Customer Identity, Account Information and Payment set-up and Initiation APIs available for use by FCA registered Third Party Providers (TPPs). Watch this space to find out more about our plans to increase the number of available APIs as well as any improvements to the existing ones.
Steps to getting access to our APIs
- Before you register - You’re able to view our API documentation before registering an account with us.
- Register your account - Before you can access anymore information you’ll need to register. Simply provide us with some basic information, set a password and you'll be able to access our dynamic API documentation using smartdocs.
- Register your app and FCA approval - Once you’ve registered an account with us, we’ll need some details on your app(s). It’s at this point we’ll run some checks with the FCA. We’ll inform you when you’re all set up and ready to go.
- Play around in the sandbox - To make your app development process quicker, you’ll be able to play around in our sandbox as soon as we’ve approved your access. We’ll send you the access keys along with your approval.
- Getting access to the live APIs - When you’re happy with your integration with our APIs, simply click ‘Promote me’ under ‘My Apps’. We’ll send you your access keys after we’ve done a few checks.
How to read the documentation?
- The App registration process will assist you with step-by-step procedures to on board your Sandbox and Production app to Metro Bank's API platform.
- The next two sections, "Account Permissions Setup Process" and "Payment Set Up Process", will inform how to generate the Consent Id
- The "Authentication and Authorisation" page will guide you through the process to invoke Metro Bank's Strong Customer Authentication portal
- We have provided some dummy data which can be used by your application to get the desired response from our APIs.
- At any point please refer to the "Our APIs" section to get a feel of the API contract.