Our APIs provide you access to Metro Bank customer account information upon their consent. Based on the Open Banking technical standards you will find our APIs easy to use within your own apps.
You can view our API specs right away. No need to register. You will need to register some basic details about you and your apps to access our sandbox and live APIs.
At the moment our APIs that will allow Personal and Small Business customers to share their data securely with other banks and trusted Third Party Providers (TPPs).
How do they work?
Our APIs are exposed as REST APIs using a swagger definition file that can be downloaded in the documentation. The data provided through the associated APIs relates to the UK only, and is prepared to the Open API, data format and security standards as maintained by the Open Banking Implementation Entity (OBIE).
In addition to our regulatory obligations we’ve included extensions to allow you to search by product segment. The extended functionality may not fully adhere to the non-functional requirements of the regulator.
Scope of the APIs
At the moment we have our customer Identity and Account Information APIs available to use for FCA registered Third Party Providers (TPPs). Watch this space to find out more about our plans to increase the number of available APIs as well as improvements to the existing ones.
Steps to getting access to our APIs
- Before you register - You’re able to view our API specs before registering an account with us.
- Register your account - Before you can access anymore information you’ll need to register. Simply provide us with some basic information, set a password and you’re off.
- Register your app and FCA approval - Once you’ve registered an account with us we’ll need some details on your app(s). It’s at this point we’ll run some checks with the FCA. We’ll inform you when you’re all set up and ready to go.
- Play around in the sandbox - To make you app development process quicker you’ll be able to play around in our sandbox as soon as we’ve approved your access. We’ll send you the access keys along with your approval.
- Getting access to the live APIs - When you’re happy with your integration with our APIs simply click ‘Promote me’ under ‘My Apps’. We’ll send you your access keys after we’ve done a few checks.